create your own visited country map or write about it on the open travel guide

Friday, September 10, 2004

Random thought

Every once in a while, in my professional life, I run into this person who stares me in the eye and tells me bluntly that I'm wasting my time trying to be a writer.

A part of me protests, thinking, "If I really sucked, then why would so many people have paid me good money and hired me for so long to write for them?" At times like these, I am reminded of the following anonymous quote:

"Writing is a lot like sex.
At first you do it because you like it.
Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like.
But if you're any good at all...
...you end up doing it for money!"

Almost immediately however, I am reminded of the kind of people who have been paying me to write for them, and I shudder. If this is the kind of writing I continue to do, I will be letting my own self down. Forget about living through my 'works', much beyond my time!

But I seriously need to know... Am I really wasting my time trying to be a writer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home